quarta-feira, janeiro 30, 2019

The scream, part 1




Jack was walking down the street, drunk. Suddenly, he stepped over something. He got down to see what it was. It was an old radio tape.
-       I’m so drunk that I’m seeing things. A radio cassette, in 2018? Where the hell will I found a cassette player?
He put it on his pocket and kept walking to home. When he arrived there, he screamed to see if someone was at home. No one. Her wife had abandoned three weeks before and took the children with her. He was totally alone. The house was a mess. Since she had left that him would clean it. He laid on the sofa and slept.
The next day he woke up late, too much late. He had to go to work. It was not the first time he was late. The boss had warned him that, if he would be late one more day, and smelling to alcohol, he would fire him. Jack could pretend he was sick, but he was in such a hurry that that idea didn’t even cross his mind.
He arrived to job at 12p.m.. The boss just knew when he looked at Jack. He came across the car’s stand and said to Jack.
-       You can leave. You’re fired.
-       But it was only this time… - Said Jack.
-       No, it was not only this time. It was many times. You can get your stuff and leave. You have five minutes, starting now.
Jack when get his stuff. While cleaning his stuff, he started crying. What would he do now?
He went home, not able to see any of his former co-workers. But, before hit home, he went to a bar, to drink a whisky with his last money.
The bartender kept filling the glass. When the money ended, he asked another glass of whisky, that he would pay later. The bartender refused the proposition, because he had seen his office stuff, so he knew Jack was fired. He went home, more poor than ever. How would he pay his house’s mortgage now? It was late when he arrived home. He didn’t have a car, so he had to walk until home.
Alone, with nothing to drink, he was devastated. With whom could he rely? His phone was cut, for lack of payment. Why not ask something to his neighbor? When his wife left him, he said he could always rely on him. So, Jack fil up with courage and went to his neighbor front door. He was about to ring the door bell, when the door was open. The neighbor looked at him from the head to the toes, and said him to come in.
-       Hello Jack, how are you? – Said the neighbor.
-       Well, fine, fine… Ah, not that fine. I was fired, I have bills to pay and I don’t know to whom should I turn on…
-       I see… You need my help. I can help you, but over one condition. You have to stop drinking. I will take you to a center that helps people like you.
-       But how? I have no money at all…
-       It seems you need a new job. I can get one for you in my car workshop.
-       But I don’t have the experience…
-       You do have. How come you sold the car with knowing nothing of them? Everything is going to be alright. Meanwhile, would you like to sleep in my house. I can guess that your house is not a good place to alone, right now. You need company.
-       Alright. I’ll will just get some clothes from home.
-       No, you don’t need it. I have clothes for you. I’m guessing all your close is dirty.
-       Maybe…
-       That’s it. Now, come to dinner with me.
Jack accept the offer. Later he felled to sleep in the sofa.
In the next morning, Jack was ready even before Michael (the neighbor) get up.
They went to the car workshop in Michael’s car. Then, Jack remember that he still had that cassette.
-       Do you have a car with a cassette player? – Asked Jack.
-       I have a lot of them. Why, if I can ask? – Said Michael.
-       It is because I found a cassette on the street, and would like to find out what is in it.
-       Alright.
They got to Michael’s car workshop. Michael introduced Jack to all team, and put him with Guerrero, a Hispanic worker. The first thing jack asked was where was a car with cassette player, that he needed to hear a cassette. Guerrero pointed to an old car and they both went to the car. Guerrero turned on the car and Jack put the cassette playing.
What they heard. They heard a girl crying and a man singing. The girl was saying ‘No! No!’. Then a man laughs. And girl saying each time lower, until she was quiet. Laughs of the man, again. ‘See what you made me do? Now you’re my, forever.’ And the cassette ended.
-       What the hell? What kind of joke is this? – Said Guerrero.
-       I don’t know. Should we take this cassette to police? – Asked Jack.
-       No. The immigration will send me back to El Salvador. I can’t go to the police. Neither you.
-       So, what do we do?
-       After work I’ll help you investigate the cassette. Now, let us get back to work.

Sem comentários: